Sunday, February 28, 2010

my cny trip to brunei

flew to brunei by singapore airlines 2 days before the start of cny. the flight was pretty comfy, nothing eventful, except that many malaysians seemed to be on the flight to brunei. there were also a couple of japanese tourists.

bumped into a classmate i have not seen for years on both departing and return flights - talk about coincidence!

anyway didn't do much for cny. spent most of my time home, or accompanying my parents here and there, or driving my parents here and there once in a while. didn't get to see any of my frens or secondary school classmates. everyone seemed to have disappeared into their own busy lives =(.

cny eve was lively in my neighborhood. it was like a singapore national day fireworks all around my house the whole night. can't even hear my own voice while speaking!

went around town - kuala belait, and keep myself occupied with taking pictures. here are some shots of my childhood town. nothing's pretty much changed.


my secondary school


hsbc building (left); the only bus terminal in town (right)


town center (left); standard chartered bank (right)

petrol pump (left); petrol prices-$0.53/liter (right)


newly-built park, beside belait river

next, let's take a look at some houses at beverly hills (rich ppl area) haha. was there with my dad visiting his fren.


anyway my sis brought me to visit some "landmarks" - the billionth barrel monument and the shell complex. wow, i feel like a tourist in my own country haha.

entrance to the monument


nodding donkeys - brunei's lifeline

beaches behind the monument (there's an oil rig!)


picture of the setting sun


the shell complex at panaga


the sports & recreation facility by shell


house provided by shell for senior staff

btw we also hopped over to miri, malaysia. below are some photos from the trip.


on the way driving to brunei border


toll house for bridge crossing, brunei


brunei border control (left); malaysia immigration (right)


malaysia and her state flags


views of miri town


authentic sarawak kolo mee

on the last day we drove to the capital for breakfast before heading to the airport. gonna miss the char kway-teow over there.


the famous golden-domed mosque


local char kway-teow, non-oily version

and so february has concluded. march is gonna be a long agonizing month, with 4.5 working weeks and no public holidays =(. i shall only be looking forward to my intermediate japanese lessons then.

No comments:

Post a Comment